best freebsd version for zfs file server

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Mar 19 21:49:22 UTC 2013

Jason Keltz wrote:
> Hi.
> I hope to soon put into production a new file server hosting many ZFS
> filesystem with FreeBSD. The system has 2 x 9205-8e cards, and 1 x
> 9207-8i card and 24 x 900 GB 10K RPM drives. I'm trying to figure out
> what is ultimately the "best" version of FreeBSD to run on a
> production
> file server. I believe that it doesn't make sense to stick directly to
> the 9.1/release because there have already been many ZFS problems that
> were solved in 9.1/stable. On the other hand, stable doesn't
> necessarily have to be "stable"! Of course "release" might not be
> "stable" either if there's a bug that say, causes a hang on my
> controller card, and it's not fixed in anything but "stable"! Yet,
> "stable" might "break" something else. I'm wondering what people who
> are running FreeBSD file servers in production do -- do you track
> individual changes, and compile release + individual bug fixes that
> likely affect you, or, in my case, if I run "stable", do all my
> testing
> with "stable", do I run that version of stable, and only attempt to
> upgrade to the next "stable" release while very carefully reviewing
> the
> bug list, then holding my breath when the server comes up? Any
> recommendations would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of people
> who are happily running FreeBSD file servers. :)
>
> Jason.

You might want to consider the attached patch which Garrett Wollman has
been testing. It is not even in head yet, but earlier versions of the
patch have been in testing for a while.

It allows you to adjust tunables to trade increased storage use in the DRC
(mostly mbuf clusters) for decreased mutex lock contention and cpu overheads.

rick