FreBSD 9.1 and ZFS v28 performances

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 15:31:32 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Davide D'Amico" <davide.damico at contactlab.com>
To: <freebsd-fs at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 2:50 PM
Subject: FreBSD 9.1 and ZFS v28 performances

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to use ZFS on a DELL R720 with 2x6-core, 32GB ram, H710
> controller (no JBOD) and 15K rpm SAS HD: I will use it for a mysql 5.6
> server, so I am trying to use ZFS to get L2ARC and ZIL benefits.
>
> I created a RAID10 and used zpool to create a pool on top:
>
> # zpool create DATA mfid3
> # zpool add DATA cache mfid1 log mfid2
>
> I have a question on zfs performances. Using:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=file.out bs=16k count=1M
>
> I cannot go faster than 400MB/s so I think I'm missing something; I
> tried removing zil, removing l2arc but everything is still the same.
>
> Here my configuration details:
>
> OS: FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 GENERIC
>
> /boot/loader.conf
> vfs.zfs.arc_min="4096M"
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="15872M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="64G"
> vm.kmem_size="49152M"
> vfs.zfs.write_limit_override=1073741824
>
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
> kern.ipc.somaxconn=32768
> kern.threads.max_threads_per_proc=16384
> kern.maxfiles=262144
> kern.maxfilesperproc=131072
> kern.ipc.nmbclusters=65536
> kern.corefile="/var/coredumps/%U.%N.%P.core"
> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
> kern.maxvnodes=250000
>
> mfiutil show volumes:
> mfi0 Volumes:
>   Id     Size    Level   Stripe  State   Cache   Name
>  mfid0 (  278G) RAID-1      64k OPTIMAL Disabled <BASE>
>  mfid1 (  118G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled <L2ARC0>
>  mfid2 (  118G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled <ZIL0>
>  mfid3 ( 1116G) RAID-10   64k OPTIMAL Disabled <DATA>
>
> zpool status:
>   pool: DATA
>   state: ONLINE
>   scan: none requested
> config:
>
> NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> DATA        ONLINE       0     0     0
>   mfid3     ONLINE       0     0     0
> logs
>   mfid2     ONLINE       0     0     0
> cache
>   mfid1     ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> zfs get all DATA
> NAME  PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
> DATA  type                  filesystem             -
> DATA  creation              Mon Mar 18 13:41 2013  -
> DATA  used                  53.0G                  -
> DATA  available             1.02T                  -
> DATA  referenced            53.0G                  -
> DATA  compressratio         1.00x                  -
> DATA  mounted               yes                    -
> DATA  quota                 none                   default
> DATA  reservation           none                   default
> DATA  recordsize            16K                    local
> DATA  mountpoint            /DATA                  default
> DATA  sharenfs              off                    default
> DATA  checksum              on                     default
> [...]

First off ideally you shouldn't use RAID controllers for ZFS, let it
have the raw disks and use a JBOD controller e.g. mps not a HW RAID
controller like mfi.

HEAD has some significant changes for the mfi driver specifically:-
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=247369

This fixes lots off bugs but also enables full queue support on TBOLT
cards so if your mfi is a TBOLT card you may see some speed up in
random IO, not that this would effect your test here.

While having a separate ZIL disk is good, your benefits may well be
limited if said disk is a traditional HD, better to look at enterprise
SSD's for this. The same and them some applies to your L2ARC disks.

    Regards
    Steve