Aligning MBR for ZFS boot help

Cody Ritts cr at caltel.com
Mon Mar 11 18:09:23 UTC 2013

On 3/10/13 3:52 PM, Adam Nowacki wrote:
> I don't think zfsboot is aware of BSD disklabel (offsets other than 0
> won't boot). Is there any reason you are using BSD disklabel and not two
> partition MBR?

The reason is because every example I saw used labels.
I just tried it, and it does not boot.
I get:

FreeBSD/x86 ZFS enabled bootstrap loader. Revision 1.1
ZFS: can't find pool by guid.

> I also don't think there is any merit in aligning to 1MiB. Most ZFS IOs
> will be aligned to sector size (ashift). Unless ZFS pool is created with
> higher ashift then the 63 sector offset is as good as any.

Aligning to the Erase block:

http://blog.nuclex-games.com/2009/12/aligning-an-ssd-on-linux/
Also I will be forcing ashift to 12 using the gnop trick.

If you still feel that is not necessary, I would be interested in
knowing why?

Thanks,

Cody