I am to silly to mount a zpool while boot

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Sun Mar 3 02:26:34 UTC 2013

Hello tech,

Friday, March 1, 2013, 3:26:37 AM, you wrote:

> I think that I only can be an idiot to get in such a problem but I am
> not able to mount a zpool via fstab while boot.

> I have a FreeBSD i386 PV Xen DomU running with 3 disks xbd0 (ext2 for
> /boot), xbd1 (UFS for /) and xbd2 (ZFS/zpool with name home to mount
> at /home).

> I now tried everything I could find. So my fstab entry looks like this:

> home            /home   zfs     rw,late 0       0

> The real problem is that after a reboot the zpool is no longer
> imported, I really don't know why I always have to reimport the pool
> via zpool import -d /dev home. Because of this the filesystem never
> can be mounted via fstab while boot and I get dropped into a shell
> where I need to do this always manually.

> So why the pool always isn't imported after boot and how can I solve this issue?

> And is the fstab entry correct itself? So would it work when the pool
> gets imported with it's name befor the fstab entry is parsed?

> Hope that someone give me a few hints or a solution.

Few things:
- you don't need fstab entry for ZFS
- make sure you have zfs_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
- make sure (perhaps this is your issue) /boot/zfs/zpool.cache is
  writable. This is where ZFS remembers (among many things) what you
  had previously imported. BTW why your /boot is ext2?
- check that "zfs get canmount home" returns "on"

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda at takeda.tk

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.