benefit of GEOM labels for ZFS, was Hard drive device names... serial numbers

Gustau Pérez i Querol gperez at entel.upc.edu
Sat Mar 2 15:12:13 UTC 2013

Al 01/03/2013 23:52, En/na Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. ha escrit:

> I only have 15 drives...(12 HDDs and 3 SSDs) but the ordering of drives seemed to randomize on every boot (wonder now if the controller was doing some kind of staggering in spin ups.  And, their other drivers cope with it.  They provide a v1.1 driver for FreeBSD 7.2 or source to the v1.0 driver.)  And, then everything moved around when I changed controllers a few times.
>
> I had resorted at one point to putting device.hints to force all the drives to keep their mapping.  Which caused problems elsewhere, and a mess when I added another controller.  But, then I changed to more meaningful GPT labels and exported and re-imported my zpools with '-d /dev/gpt', and now things are ok.

    That reordering issue is what made me switch to geom labels first
(IIRC I did by 5.x era) and next switched to GPT labels. The GPT allows
me first to easily used those drives with ZFS and specially because
those labels belong to the partition scheme and thus are filesystem
independent.

    What I found specially useful is to be able to identify those
drives. When I drive fails I know where it is because of the simple name
convention I use; but having a blinking led helps a lot, specially when
writing the recovery plan for the rest of the team.

    Gus

    Salut i força,

    Gustau

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Unitat de Gestió dels departaments
O O O Matemàtica Aplicada IV i Enginyeria Telemàtica

       Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3