I am to silly to mount a zpool while boot

Fri Mar 1 22:31:23 UTC 2013

Am 01.03.2013 13:03, schrieb Peter Maloney:
> For the mount, don't use fstab. use:
>
> zfs set mountpoint=/home poolname/path/to/dataset
>
> And for the import, add
>
> zfs_enable="YES"
>
> to rc.conf.
>

> And I think that's it. (all my FreeBSD systems are pure zfs, so not sure
> what troubles you would get if you had UFS on root)
>

> On 2013-03-01 12:26, tech mailinglists wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I think that I only can be an idiot to get in such a problem but I am
>> not able to mount a zpool via fstab while boot.
>>
>> I have a FreeBSD i386 PV Xen DomU running with 3 disks xbd0 (ext2 for
>> /boot), xbd1 (UFS for /) and xbd2 (ZFS/zpool with name home to mount
>> at /home).
>>
>> I now tried everything I could find. So my fstab entry looks like this:
>>
>> home            /home   zfs     rw,late 0       0
>>
>> The real problem is that after a reboot the zpool is no longer
>> imported, I really don't know why I always have to reimport the pool
>> via zpool import -d /dev home. Because of this the filesystem never
>> can be mounted via fstab while boot and I get dropped into a shell
>> where I need to do this always manually.
>>
>> So why the pool always isn't imported after boot and how can I solve this issue?
>>
>> And is the fstab entry correct itself? So would it work when the pool
>> gets imported with it's name befor the fstab entry is parsed?
>>
>> Hope that someone give me a few hints or a solution.
>>
>> Best Regards

Hello all,

a few of the things I already had done. But the real problem is I think
that the pool doesn't get imported automatically. I read that ZFS
searches in special directories when it tries to import. So is there a
way to set an option which says that it should search in /dev? I always
have to do this after reboot:

zpool import -d /dev tank

Than tank (pool) gets mounted at /tank and the zvol tank/home gets
mounted on /home.

So I think that the import of the zpool fails. I have set
zfs_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf also zfs_load=YES as boot parameter
which gets shown in kenv and commented out the fstab entry. So I read
that the import normally should work automatically when the module is
loaded and zfs is enabled but I think the fact that my pool is located
on /dev/xbd2 is the problem.

Best Regards