Reproducible ZFS jailed dataset panic after upgrading to latest 9-stable

Kristof Provost kristof at sigsegv.be
Tue Jun 25 11:44:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-25 13:27:43 (+0200), Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas at gibfest.dk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To fix the mmap vulnerability I've upgraded one of my jail hosts from:
> "FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #1: Sun Mar 17 08:48:35 UTC 2013"
> to:
> "FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #3: Tue Jun 18 12:49:39 UTC 2013"
>
> One of the jails on this machine has a jailed zfs dataset:
>
> $ zfs get jailed gelipool/backups
> NAME              PROPERTY  VALUE   SOURCE
> gelipool/backups  jailed    on      local
> $
>
> After the upgrade, when I start the jail, the machine panics.
>
> This is a remote zfs-only machine with swap on zfs, so far I have
> been unable to get a proper coredump. I have access to the
> console of the machine, and I have taken a couple of screenshots:
>
> http://imgur.com/2V0PBlf and http://imgur.com/OopP9Sp
>
> Any ideas what might have caused this ? It worked great before the
> upgrade to latest 9-STABLE. This is a production server, but I am
> willing to try any suggestions to get it working again.

I think you're hitting the same issue as me and Alexander Leidinger.
Alexander said that the maintainer of the stress-test suite has managed
to create a test case to trigger the issue, so hopefully a fix will be
found soon.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=250572+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2013/freebsd-current/20130616.freebsd-current

Regards,
Kristof