An order of magnitude higher IOPS needed with ZFS than UFS

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Wed Jun 12 16:03:40 UTC 2013

On Jun 12, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Mark, do you have any references for this?  I'd love to learn/read more
> about this engineering/design aspect (I won't say flaw, I'll just say
> aspect) to ZFS, as it's the first I've heard of it.

I have seen that behavior with standard hard disks. Once the busy space reached 80 % performance
dropped significantly. Just deleting some old data (it is a log storage system) performance went
back to normal.

Sorry I don't have graphs or anything like that. What I noticed is that the disks were
"busier" per the %busy column in gstat(8).

Borja.