ZFS and Glabel

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jun 8 13:27:27 UTC 2013

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Reed A. Cartwright wrote:

> I currently have a raidz2 pool that uses whole disks: da6, da7, etc.
> I want to label these using glabel and have zfs mount them using the
> labels.  This way, if an HDD fails, I will be able to easily replace
> the drive.

GPT labels are better.  They work through the glabel mechanism but don't
have any extra metadata at the end of the disk.

> So my questions are a follows:
>
> 1) Can glabel be used with zfs and raw disks?  Should it be?

Yes to the first.  "Should" is a judgement call, so it depends on you
and your situation.  This forum thread talks about GPT labels a bit.
It also refers Jeremy Chadwick's hardware "wiring-down" solution (also a
judgement call).