ZFS LZ4 Upgrade

Kenta Suzumoto kentas at hush.com
Mon Jun 3 18:53:25 UTC 2013

Hi. I'm planning on doing a ZFS root installation on a remote server very soon. The company only offers a 9.0 and 9.1 installation and "rescue" (nfs/pxe boot with ramdisk basically) system. I'd like to use LZ4 with the ZFS root pool, so I'm going to be upgrading to -STABLE once I have the initial system installed. Here's what I'll do:

- install the 9.1 system
- svn source, buildworld/kernel, install, reboot
- upon booting the -STABLE system, begin enabling LZ4 compression on /usr/ports /usr/src etc.

Will this work, or do I need to find some way to initially create the zpool with a -STABLE system? Is it just a matter of running "zfs upgrade" and "zpool upgrade" before enabling LZ4, or am I missing something? Thanks

-kenta