Revisiting an old problem.. zfs snapshots and file name too long

Andreas Tyrosvoutis andreas.tyrosvoutis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 16:48:33 UTC 2013

Hi there everyone, I wanted to see what has been discovered regarding this
issue. This particular issue has been around since at least 2008.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2008-November/005286.html

A little bit of response and progress noted here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-March/007960.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-March/007964.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-March/007972.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-March/007974.html

"Such change will break ABI compatibility with tools compiled on previous
FreeBSD versions. As you can see in sys/sys/mount.h this is the reason
we still keep ostatfs structure. *I'll discuss the possibilities with
other FreeBSD committers and we will see what we can do about it.*"

As far as I can tell, this problem has not been addressed in a
satisfactory way, and still exists today.

nas4free: snapshot # uname -a

FreeBSD nas4free.office.pytheasgroup.com 9.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD
9.1-RELEASE-p3 #0 r251670M: Thu Jun 13 01:59:24 CEST 2013
root at dev.nas4free.org:/usr/obj/nas4free/usr/src/sys/NAS4FREE-amd64
amd64

nas4free: snapshot # pwd

/mnt/usb-backup/Daily-Backups/mypool/home/andreas/.zfs/snapshot

nas4free: snapshot # ls

ls: 20130721_1829_autosnap_HOURLY: File name too long

ls: 20130721_2330_autosnap_HOURLY: File name too long

ls: 20130722_0936_autosnap_HOURLY: File name too long

ls: 20130722_1221_autosnap_HOURLY: File name too long

etc....

 Not being able to use arbitrarily named snapshots or any tools in
.zfs/snapshot folders containing such long named (72 characters? )
snapshots seems a bit, contrary to the ZFS philosophy of (almost)
unreachable limits.

The problem is, I don't know what ABI and ostatfs or any of that is.
Or what can actually be done about the problem. It would be handy if
someone who is in the know, could definitively declare the issues
ability to be, or not to be resolved. And perhaps if it can, I'd like
to push it in the right direction. Otherwise it appears to be that BSD
and ZFS are not really fully integrated.

What do I know though. :)