Slow resilvering with mirrored ZIL

Gezeala M. Bacuño II gezeala at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 00:29:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:

> ZFS- on-Linux has added this as "-o ashift=" property for zpool create.
>
> There's a threat on the illumos list about standardising this s across all
> ZFS- using OSes.

+1 on this. We tested zfs-on-linux last year and it does automatically
handle disk partitioning for correct alignment. What we do is just add
ashift=12 option during zpool create. No more gpart/gnop/ashift/import
steps.

http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html#HowDoesZFSonLinuxHandlesAdvacedFormatDrives

Back to FreeBSD ZFS,

After reading the thread, I'm still at a loss on this (too much info I
guess).. regarding gpart/gnop/ashift tweaks for alignment, do we still need
to perform gpart on newly purchased (SSD/SATA/SAS) Advanced Format drives?
Or, skip gpart and proceed with gnop/ashift only?