Terrible NFS4 performance: FreeBSD 9.1 + UFS/ZFS + AWS EC2

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Sat Jul 13 05:48:10 UTC 2013

    Rick> If you could do some testing where you export a UFS volume,
    Rick> the results might help to isolate the issue to ZFS vs nfsd.

Indeed! Have changed subject, as indeed ZFS is a red herring. Issue
shows up with UFS as well. Very high cpu for nfds, about the same time
to do the operation.

Tried it with these settings:

  vfs.nfsd.tcphighwater=5000
  vfs.nfsd.tcpcachetimeo=300
  nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 256"

On nfs3 + ufs everything back to normal. I.e. nfs4 was about 15
minutes, same operation was 241s minutes with nfs3 and nfsd using no
cpu at all basically.

Per other reply, tried this too:

  vfs.nfsd.issue_delegations=1

Locks up the client at first write access. Ctrl+C doesn't work, need
to explicitly send a KILL signal from other terminal.

I think it locks up the server in some way as well. Doing an ls on an
exported path locks up. Ctrl+C won't work anymore. Process doesn't
react to any signal. In the end I rebooted the server to get rid of
this.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer