Nfs readdir/readdirplus buffer size

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jul 11 11:36:14 UTC 2013

Girish wrote:
>   I would like to know what is the buffer size passed by the client
>   as an argument in the readdir/readdirplus
> request. Is it based on dtpref setting on the server? OR is it  a
> fixed value.
>
>  I am changing dtpref value on the Solaris and I would like to know
>  how freebsd client would read that.

I'm afraid I don't have time to look at the code right now, so this
might not be 100% accurate (and might be different for the old client):
- the size readdir uses is
  - capped at MAXBSIZE (64K)
  - capped at the min(rsize,readdirsize) if specified as mount arguments
  - capped at dtmax as specified by the server
--> I can't remember how dtpref is used. You'll need to look at the sources
   (or just try it and look at a packet trace in wireshark) to figure that
    one out.

rick