Compatibility options for mount(8)

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Tue Jul 9 17:11:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:56:59PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> > > What is the rationale behind this?
> >
> > Primarily security and stability.  I won't get into a discussion about
> > this as it'll just bikeshed, particularly when there's an almost
> > indefinite amount of information online about the dangers of strcmp(3).
>
> Robert, please ignore this.  The person does not know what he talks about.
>
> The use of strncmp() is plain wrong. E.g., it would match  "remount1"
> as well as any longer option starting with "remount".  Original patch
> is fine.

kib@, thanks for correcting me -- you're absolutely right in this case.

I was looking at the mountprog/userquota=/groupquota= examples and did
not notice the use of strsep(3) within the while().  So yes, use of
strncmp(3) in this case is completely wrong.  My apologies.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |