EBS snapshot backups from a FreeBSD zfs file system: zpool freeze?

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Mon Jul 8 20:06:33 UTC 2013

    Markus> By 'mount' do you mean the import of the pool? Did you use
    Markus> -F on import? In any case, this sounds too long. Was the
    Markus> system doing IO?

Yep, did -F as well, I believe I have seen the most disastrous imports
in that case, i.e. empty disks.

And it did continuous I/O, as best as I could determine at max disk
performance.

    >> Another interesting thing I've seen was a completely empty
    >> drive after mount!

    Markus> That's a bit unspecific. What's empty? Disk full of zeros?
    Markus> Partition full of zeros? Pool without file system on it?
    Markus> Pool with empty filesystems?

With empty file systems.

    Markus> What you really need in that case is the ability to
    Markus> snapshot all EBS disks as group.

Which Linux offers.

    Markus> Anyway, with the tools at hand (no IO "freeze" like Linux,
    Markus> no EBS snapshots for groups of disks), I don't think you
    Markus> can acomplish what you originally intended.

Indeed.

I think my best strategy is doing frequent ZFS snapshots to a stand-by
server, and take the backups from there.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer

          Awesome Drupal hosting: https://www.xplainhosting.com/