Terrible NFS4 performance: FreeBSD 9.1 + ZFS + AWS EC2

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Mon Jul 8 01:19:20 UTC 2013

    >> Repeating this with nfs4 + udp: doesn't work at all, get
    >> input/output error after a few files.
    >>
    Rick> The RFCs for NFSv4 require use of transport protocols that
    Rick> include congestion control --> no UDP support. What client
    Rick> are you using?

Happened to be Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

    Rick> Please try this patch:
    Rick> http://people.freebsd.org/rmacklem/~drc4.patch - After you
    Rick> apply the patch and boot the rebuilt kernel,

Ah kernel. The problem is I'm on Amazon, and I doubt I can rebuilt the
kernel that easily. The patches to make that work only recently
landed.

I'll need to ask Colin Percival how I can safely do that.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer

          Awesome Drupal hosting: https://www.xplainhosting.com/