Report: ZFS deadlock in 9-STABLE

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 22:06:47 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Mikalson" <bofh at terranova.net>
To: <freebsd-fs at freebsd.org>
Cc: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: Report: ZFS deadlock in 9-STABLE

> Steven Hartland wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Mikalson" <bofh at terranova.net>
>>
>>> I've flashed these to LSI firmware type "IT", straight passthrough
>>> without RAID functionality.
>>>
>>> mps0: Firmware: 14.00.00.00, Driver: 14.00.00.01-fbsd
>>> mps1: Firmware: 14.00.00.00, Driver: 14.00.00.01-fbsd
>>> mps2: Firmware: 14.00.00.00, Driver: 14.00.00.01-fbsd
>>>
>>> I can confirm that this is accurate, it's 14.00.00.00 I flashed on there
>>> from the LSI firmware release notes in the firmware package I used.
>>>
>>> SCS Engineering Release Notice
>>> Phase14 GCA Release Version 14.00.00.00 - SAS2FW_Phase14 (SCGCQ00300504)
>>
>> You should ideally be using at least FW Phase16 for those cards.
>
> Phase14 was the latest when I assembled the system of course. I'll look
> into updating these to Phase16, though I hate doing that on production
> boxes. I may simply buy three new controllers, flash them elsewhere and
> then swap them in.
>
> Wow, I see LSI has a FreeBSD sas2flash utility.

Yes we've used in on loads of servers, always puts my heart in my stomach
but has hever failed yet (touch wood).

> Has anybody tried LSI's FreeBSD driver, mpslsi? If so, do you feel it's
> more advisable to use for some reason instead of FreeBSD's included mps
> driver?

All the changes in this (v16) + others have are being prepared to be merged
into head. I don't believe there are any pressing things that would need
you to switch to it until its in the tree.

    Regards
    Steve