boot from ZFS: which pool types use?

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Jul 4 18:15:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> > However: setting this in boot.loader (or manually in loader prompt) is not
> > enough to have bootable system
> >
> > And this, I suppose, could be attacked to reduce possibility of
> > user-configuration errors: not having a possibility to point at loader is a bit
> > disappointing, you see ;)
>
> I am confused with this's and that's and unknown file names.

Well, sorry for not being explicit enough -- after all, we're both non-native
speakers ;P

> What exactly did you try and what exactly did not work?

Now, examining my setups, I'm not quite sure what could we do in
non-deterministic situation like I've created myself :)

> Please note that vfs.root.mountfrom tells loader to tell kernel from where it
> should mount root fs.  It can not tell earlier boot blocks where to find loader
> itself.

Understood, and this is fair enough.

Now, looking at zfsboot.c, couldn't we (for finding /boot/zfsloader suitable
for us) loop over, say, top-level datasets in pools we have, in abcense of
special property?  As for me, this should plug the most annoying mistakes...

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]