Report: ZFS deadlock in 9-STABLE

Travis Mikalson bofh at terranova.net
Thu Jul 4 14:30:26 UTC 2013

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 04/07/2013 16:43 Travis Mikalson said the following:
>> Yes, that helpful article is where I got the run-down on how best to
>> report what was going on here. I still believe this is an actual
>> deadlock bug and not a storage layer issue.
>>
>> I have not seen any indications of any problems with my storage layer.
>> You'd think there would be some scary-looking complaint on the console
>> during one of these deadlocks if it had suddenly lost the capability to
>> communicate with most or all the disks, but I've deadlocked at least 10
>> times now in 2013 and never anything of the sort. Thanks to IPMI, I have
>> actually viewed the console each time it has happened.
>
> Well, I do consider GEOM, CAM, drivers to be parts of the storage layer.
> In other words, everything below ZFS.

Ah, I believe I understand. It's not necessarily a hardware issue (which
is what I took away from the original verbage), the deadlock may have
occurred in other parts of the storage layer.

FWIW, my simple UFS compact flash that I boot from also becomes
inaccessible during these deadlocks. All UFS and ZFS storage goes dead
simultaneously. If it were purely a ZFS issue, I suppose one might
expect to still be able to read from their UFS filesystem.