EBS snapshot backups from a FreeBSD zfs file system: zpool freeze?

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 08:06:47 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Berend de Boer" <berend at pobox.com>
Jeremy>   Also, because nobody seems to warn others of this: if
Jeremy> you go the ZFS route on FreeBSD, please do not use
Jeremy> features like dedup or compression.

While dedup is memory and sometimes cpu hungry, so HW spec
should be considered before using it, compression is not so
and I've not seen any valid reason not to use it should it
fit your uses.

We actually use compression extensivily here and we've
had nothing but positive results from it so sounds like
FUD to me.

    Regards
    Steve