Report: ZFS deadlock in 9-STABLE

Travis Mikalson bofh at terranova.net
Wed Jul 3 16:40:46 UTC 2013

Hello,

To cut to the chase, I have a procstat -kk -a captured during a livelock
for you here:
http://tog.net/freebsd/zfsdeadlock-storage1-20130703

The other relevant configurations I could think of to show you are
available within that http://tog.net/freebsd/ directory.

If you want any additional information that I haven't given here please
let me know!

This is a FreeBSD 9-STABLE AMD64 system currently at:
r250777: Sat May 18 17:41:39 EDT 2013

I didn't see too many relevant ZFS-related fixes after that date so am
waiting for another round of interesting commits to update again.

Unfortunately, this system has been livelocking on average about once
every 7-14 days. Its lot in life is a ZFS storage server serving NFS and
istgt traffic.

It has 32GB of RAM and is an 8-core 2.6GHz Opteron 6212.
The zpool looks like this, it has eight 1TB SAS drives and two SSDs
being used for log and cache.

  pool: storage1
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not
support feature
        flags.
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 6h4m with 0 errors on Sun Jan  6 06:39:38 2013
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage1    ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da6     ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da5     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da7     ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          mirror-2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da8p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            da9p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        cache
          da8p3     ONLINE       0     0     0
          da9p3     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011 x101   Fax: (305)451-5991