Whole disk ZFS or -a4k partition

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 09:39:22 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandr" <shuriku at shurik.kiev.ua>

> Hello, community!
>
> I have a laptop with 2 disks - mSATA 32Gb SSD and 500Gb HDD. I plan to
> use SSD as whole disk ZFS pool with root and /usr partitions and 500Gb
> SATA as ZFS pool for /home and /var. My questions are:
>
> 1. Do I need to create a 4k aligned partition on HDD for zfs pool or
> best to use a whole disk?

As you need a boot partition you will need to 4k align and ensure
the zpool is created with 4k sectors using gnop hack.

> 2. Where the best place for swap - ssd or hdd? SSD is much faster, but
> with limited write life cycle.

I'd use the ssd for the performance as in general you wont see
significanlty higher wear leveling than general use unless you're really
low on RAM and then you will want it as quick as possible anyway.

If you want ZFS TRIM ensure you use a recent stable/8, stable/9 or head.

    Regards
    Steve