pwd in zfs snapshot

Gerrit Kühn gerrit.kuehn at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jul 3 09:15:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 01:56:29 -0700 Jeremy Chadwick <jdc at koitsu.org> wrote
about Re: pwd in zfs snapshot:

JC> This would imply the issue may be relieved by setting snapdir=visible
JC> on the filesystem.  If it works as a workaround, great, but be aware
JC> this may not be ideal for everyone.

JC> Please try it and report back.

I can confirm that setting snapdir=visible makes the issue go away. On the
other hand, actually I would like to keep the snapshots hidden.

My actual problem is with rsync, which insists on doing pwd before working:

root at pt-storage:/data/.zfs/snapshot/daily.0 # rsync -Wavn . /
rsync: getcwd(): No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at util.c
(1002) [Receiver=3.0.9]

This even happens when only calling from the snapshot dir, and not trying
to work on it at all:

root at pt-storage:/data/.zfs/snapshot/daily.0 # rsync -Wavn /root/ /
rsync: getcwd(): No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at util.c
(1002) [Receiver=3.0.9]

cu
  Gerrit