kern/169480: [zfs] ZFS stalls on heavy I/O

Harry Coin hgcoin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 01:30:01 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR kern/169480; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Harry Coin <hgcoin at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, levent.serinol at mynet.com
Subject: Re: kern/169480: [zfs] ZFS stalls on heavy I/O
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:26:10 -0600

 I think I have an easier way to reproduce this problem on a very simple
 setup:

 Boot a 'nas4free' livecd version 573 (freebsd 9.1.0.1).   Mount one
 zpool with no dedup, simple raidz 4 drive setup, 4GB memory.  Don't
 enable any of the various features, just get a shell from the live cd
 prompt.  Use dd to make a 20GB file on the pool writing from
 /dev/random.  While that's going, go to another virtual console cd to
 the pool, and do an ls -l.   It won't return.  Of interest, long before
 wired memory explodes to the limit, ls not returning while dd is
 running, 'top' on another shell reports this:

 99.7% idle, 2.6gb free ram, dd in tx->tx, zfskern in zio->i, and intr in
 WAIT

 Eventually disk activity as shown by the cheery little flickering lamp
 slows, then stops.  Characters still echo on the ls -l command that
 hasn't returned, but no others.  alt-tab strangely still works. The only
 way out is to power cycle the box.

 Details here:

 http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?p=12519#p12519

 Feels like completed io's are getting lost and the system just waits and
 waits until there are no more resources left to issue new commands or
 too many threads are locked waiting for what will never return.

 Harry