disk "flipped" - a known problem?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Fri Jan 25 21:12:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:36:19AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:19:04PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
> > On 22.01.2013 00:16, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > > (Please keep me CC'd as I am not subscribed)
> > >
> > > WRT this:
> > >
> > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2013-January/016197.html
> > >
> > > I can reproduce the first problem 100% of the time on my home system
> > > here.  I can provide hardware specs if needed, but the important part is
> > > that I'm using RELENG_9 / r245697, the controller is an ICH9R in AHCI
> > > mode (and does not share an IRQ), hot-swap bays are in use, and I'm
> > > using ahci.ko.
> > >
> > > I also want to make this clear to Andriy: I'm not saying "there's a
> > > problem with your disk".  In my case, I KNOW there's a problem with the
> > > disk (that's the entire point to my tests! :-) ).
> > >
> > > In my case the disk is a WD Raptor (150GB, circa 2006) that has a very
> > > badly-designed firmware that goes completely catatonic when encountering
> > > certain sector-level conditions.  That's not the problem though -- the
> > > problem is with FreeBSD apparently getting confused as to the internal
> > > state of its devices after a device falls off the bus and comes back.
> > > Explanation:
> > >
> > > 1. System powered off; disk is attached; system powered on, shows up as
> > > ada5.  Can communicate with device in every way (the way I tend to test
> > > simple I/O is to use "smartctl -a /dev/ada5").  This disk has no
> > > filesystems or other "stuff" on it -- it's just a raw disk, so I believe
> > > the g_wither_washer oddity does not apply in this situation.
> > >
> > > 2. "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada5 bs=64k"
> > >
> > > 3. Drive hits a bad sector which it cannot remap/deal with.  Drive
> > > firmware design flaw results in drive becoming 100% stuck trying to
> > > re-read the sector and work out internal decisions to do remapping or
> > > not.  Drive audibly clicking during this time (not actuator arm being
> > > reset to track 0 noise; some other mechanical issue).  Due to firmware
> > > issue, drive remains in this state indefinitely.
> > >
> > > 4. FreeBSD CAM reports repeated WRITE_FPDMA_QUEUED (i.e. writes using NCQ)
> > > errors every 30 seconds (kern.cam.ada.default_timeout), for a total of 5
> > > times (kern.cam.da.retry_count+1).
> > >
> > > 5. FreeBSD spits out similar messages you see; retries exhausted,
> > > cam_periph_alloc error, and devfs claims device removal.
> > >
> > > 6. Drive is still catatonic of course.  Only way to reset the drive is
> > > to power-cycle it.  Drive removed from hot-swap bay, let sit for 20
> > > seconds, then is reinserted.
> > >
> > > 7. FreeBSD sees the disk reappear, shows up much like it did during #1,
> > > except...
> > >
> > > 8. "smartctl -a /dev/ada5" claims no such device or unknown device type
> > > (I forget which).  "ls -l /dev/ada5" shows an entry.  "camcontrol
> > > devlist" shows the disk on the bus, yet I/O does not work.  If I
> > > remember right, re-attempting the dd command returns some error (I
> > > forget which).
> > >
> > > 9. "camcontrol rescan all" stalls for quite some time when trying to
> [...]

Finished.

http://jdc.koitsu.org/freebsd/ahci_cam_testing/

I was not able to get the cam_periph_alloc error message; I'll talk
about that at the end of my mail in attempt to stay focused on what I
did find / what I was able to reproduce.

Things start to get interesting around phase 23.

Phase 31 is where things are confirmed broken in some way ("no such file
or directory" even though /dev/ada5 is there).

Direct I/O to /dev/ada5 still works (shown in phase 33), but smartctl
ceases to work ***to that device only*** from then onward (e.g. smartctl
ada0 works fine).  A reboot is needed to recover from this.

I'm aware that smartmontools uses xpt(4), and I think therein is where
the issue is.  The only difference between the tests/phases is that I
issued "camcontrol reset" and "camcontrol rescan" prior to the breakage.

Based on CAMDEBUG output in phase 36 it looks like xpt(4) is spinning on
something internally and causing what I'm reporting.  I can reproduce it
reliably at least.

Let me know what else I can do to help.  If I need to turn on CAMDEBUG
and re-do some of the tests + provide full kernel/CAMDEBUG output during
each phase, no problem, just let me know what you need.  I just hate
risking interspersed kernel printf output...

The rest of my Email from here is probably for a separate issue.

------

Now about cam_periph_alloc -- I wanted to provide proof that I have seen
this message before / proving Andriy isn't crazy.  :-)  This is from
when I was messing about with this bad disk the day I received it:

Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: ada5 at ahcich5 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: ada5: <WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR4 21.07QR4> ATA-7 SATA 1.x device
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: ada5: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: ada5: Command Queueing enabled
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: ada5: 143089MB (293046768 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: ada5: Previously was known as ad14
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: cam_periph_alloc: attempt to re-allocate valid device pass5 rejected flags 0x18 refcount 1
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: passasync: Unable to attach new device due to status 0x6: CCB request was invalid
Jan 18 19:54:57 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Array NVIDIA-6 created.
Jan 18 19:55:27 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Force array start due to timeout.
Jan 18 19:55:27 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Disk ada5 state changed from NONE to ACTIVE.
Jan 18 19:55:27 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Subdisk RAID 0+1 279.47G:3-ada5 state changed from NONE to REBUILD.
Jan 18 19:55:27 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Array started.
Jan 18 19:55:27 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Volume RAID 0+1 279.47G state changed from STARTING to BROKEN.
Jan 18 19:55:39 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Volume RAID 0+1 279.47G state changed from BROKEN to STOPPED.
Jan 18 19:55:49 icarus kernel: GEOM_RAID: NVIDIA-6: Array NVIDIA-6 destroyed.

So why didn't I see this message today?  On January 20th I rebuild
world/kernel after removing GEOM_RAID from my kernel config.  The reason
I removed GEOM_RAID is that, as you can see, that bad disk** was
previously in a system (not my own) with an nVidia SATA chipset with
their RAID option ROM enabled (my system is Intel, hence "array timeout"
since there's no nVidia option ROM, I believe).

I got sick and tired of having to "fight" with the kernel.  The last two
messages were a result of me doing "graid stop ada5".  And of course "dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada5 bs=64k" will cause GEOM to re-taste, causing
the RAID metadata to get re-read, "NVIDIA-7" created, rinse lather
repeat.  But there's already a thread on this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2013-January/016292.html

Just easier for me to remove the option, that's all.

**: People from all over the US send me bad disks for lots of reasons.
Sometimes to do data recovery, sometimes to do forensics, blah blah.  I
have quite a collection and all with different behaviours.  Bad disks
are often fun/interesting.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |