ZFS regimen: scrub, scrub, scrub and scrub again.

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 23 21:49:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>>> gives single drive random I/O performance.
>>

>> For reads - true. For writes it's probably behaves better than RAID5
>

> yes, because as with reads it gives single drive performance. small writes
> on RAID5 gives lower than single disk performance.
>

>> If you need higher performance, build your pool out of multiple RAID-Z
>> vdevs.
>
> even you need normal performance use gmirror and UFS

I've no objection. If it works for you -- go for it.

For me personally ZFS performance is good enough, and data integrity
verification is something that I'm willing to sacrifice some
performance for. ZFS scrub gives me either warm and fuzzy feeling that
everything is OK, or explicitly tells me that something bad happened
*and* reconstructs the data if it's possible.

Just my $0.02,

--Artem