ZFS regimen: scrub, scrub, scrub and scrub again.

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:01:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Adam Nowacki <nowakpl at platinum.linux.pl>wrote:

> This is exactly what happened to me. I had a server connected to a failing
> mains socket. For about a month ZFS reported checksum errors on multiple
> disks, all fixed thanks to raidz2. Socket failed, completely burned off,
> UPS woke me up. Replaced the socket, no checksum errors since then.
>
> This is what was in my wall: http://tepeserwery.pl/DSC_**0178.JPG<http://tepeserwery.pl/DSC_0178.JPG>

Damn, son.  That socket is obviously not rated for whatever you used it
for.  I'm not familiar with European sockets, but any time you smell
burning in relation electric stuff --- it's just bad.  Here in North
America, many "cheap" wall sockets are really only meant for lamps or TVs
and whatnot.  Even cheap contractors put "real" sockets in the kitchen.
Most "decora" style wall switches are only good for 10 or fewer amps ...
not 15 or 20 --- although at least their failure mode is reasonable (they
just stop working).

I used to be in peer1 (Canada) at our "151 front" (center of Canadian
telecoms).  I had been noticing for some time the smell of burnt
electronics coming from their UPS --- so I moved (this UPS unit would be in
the 50 to 100 KVA range).  About a year later, it caught fire and had that
colo down for most of the day.  I had pointed it out to the people who
worked there --- but they obviously didn't take it seriously enough.