RFC: Suggesting ZFS "best practices" in FreeBSD

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jan 22 15:12:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Borja Marcos wrote:

> Hope nobody will hate me too much, but ZFS usage under FreeBSD is
> still chaotic. We badly need a well proven "doctrine" in order to
> avoid problems.

I would like to see guidelines for at least two common scenarios:

Multi-terabyte file server with multi-drive pool.
Limited RAM (1G) root-on-ZFS workstation with a single disk.

The first is easy with the defaults, but particular tuning could be
beneficial.  And would be a good place to talk about NFS on ZFS, usage
of SSDs, and so on.

The second is supposed to be achievable, but the specifics...

These could go in the ZFS section in the Handbook.  I'm interested in
working on that.