pkgng 1.1 beta best way to make people tests

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 20 23:40:09 UTC 2013

Hi all,

As a first mail on this list, I want to open a discussion on what would be the
best way to handle the beta phase of pkgng in the ports tree.

We are about to enter in a beta phase and we want to add the beta to the ports
tree so that people can test it easily. We also want the users to keep having
the 1.0 as default.

We have 2 possibilities here:
1- add WITH_PKGNG_DEVEL=yes to the actual ports-mgmt/pkg port switching the 1.0
version to 1.1b1 a bit like WITH_NEW_XORG. bonus: really simple, can only be
activated on purpose by the user.

2- add a ports-mgmt/pkg-devel with the new beta which will conflict with
ports-mgmt/pkg.

As a difficulty remember that the local.sqlite smoothly upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1
but cannot be switch backward.

So far I plan a two month beta/rc phase for pkg 1.1 I think the code is quite as
robust as the 1.0 branch is and should not bring too much surprises, of course,
no date base release, it will be out when ready :)

Regards,
Bapt