ZFS lock up 9-stable r244911 (Jan)

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 18 15:02:01 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a machine on which ZFS appears to have locked up, and any processes
that attempt to access the ZFS filesystem.  This machine is running
9-stable amd64 r244911 (though from cvs, not SVN), and therefore I believe
has all of avg's ZFS deadlock patches.

This machine has both UFS and ZFS filesystems.  All of the "system"
filesystems are on UFS, and as a result the machine itself is responsive
and I can investigate state using kgdb against the live kernel.  I've
included all thread backtraces, a couple of other bits relating to held
locks, and ps/sysctl output at
 http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/tay-zfs-hang.txt
 http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/tay-sysctl-a.txt
 http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/tay-ps-auxwwwH.txt

This machine was in use as a pkgng package builder, using poudriere.
Poudriere makes heavy use of zfs filesystems within jails, including "zfs
get", "zfs set", "zfs snapshot", "zfs rollback", "zfs diff" and other
commands, although there do not appear to be any instances of the zfs
process running currently. At the time of the hang 16 parallel builds were
in progress,

The underlying disk subsystem is a single hardware RAID-10 on a twa
controller, and the zpool is on a single partition of this device.  The
RAID-10 itself is intact, the controller reports no errors.  There is no
L2ARC or separate ZIL.  The UFS filesystems (still seem to be fully
functional) are on separate partitions on the same underlying device, so I
do not believe the underlying storage is having issues.  I can "dd" from
the underlying ZFS partition without problem.  Nothing has been logged to
/var/log/messages.

I can keep this machine in this state for a couple of days, so can get
further details as required.  I am happy to work with somebody in
order to diagnose this hang further - Note however that the kernel does
not have WITNESS etc compiled in.

Thanks,

Gavin