Problems Re-Starting mountd

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Tue Jan 8 15:43:24 UTC 2013

On 01/08/2013 10:05 AM, Andrey Simonenko wrote:
> I created 2000 file systems on ZFS file system backed by vnode md(4)
> device.  The /etc/exports file contains 4000 entries like your example.
>
> On 9.1-STABLE mountd spends ~70 seconds in flushing current NFS exports
> in the NFS server, parsing data from /etc/exports and loading parsed
> data into the NFS server.  ~70 seconds is not several minutes.  Most of
> time mountd spends in nmount() system call in "zio->io_cv" lock.
>
> Can you show the output of "truss -fc -o /tmp/output.txt mountd"
> (wait wchan "select" state of mountd and terminate it by a signal).
> If everything is correct you should see N statfs() calls, N+M nmount()
> calls and something*N lstat() calls, where N is the number of /etc/exports
> lines, M is the number of mounted file systems.  Number of lstat() calls
> depends on number of components in pathnames.

Andrey,

Would that still be an ~70 second period in which new mounts would not
be allowed? In the system I'm preparing, I'll have at least 4000 entries
in /etc/exports, probably even more, so I know I'll be dealing with the
same issue that Tim is dealing with when I get there.  However, I don't
see how to avoid the issue ... If I want new users to be able to login
shortly after their account is created, and each user has a ZFS
filesystem as a home directory, then at least at some interval, after
adding a user to the system, I need to update the exports file on the
file server, and re-export everything.  Yet,  even a >1 minute delay
where users who are logging in won't get their home directory mounted on
the system they are logging into - well, that's not so good... accounts
can be added all the time and this would create random chaos.  Isn't
there some way to make it so that when you re-export everything, the
existing exports are still served until the new exports are ready?
Would this be the same for NFSv3 versus NFSv4?  I suspect yes.

Jason.