Unexpected SU+J inconsistency AGAIN -- please, don't shift topic to ZFS!

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 28 08:06:47 UTC 2013

Hello, Freebsd-fs.

 My server runs 9.1-STABLE and have 8Tb UFS2 SU+J FS.
 It crashed a several minutes ago (I don't know reason yet) and fsck
says "Unexpected SU+J inconsistency" (Inode mode/directory tyme
mismatch) and requested full check (which will take more than hour on
such FS).

 All drives are perfectly healthy according to SMART, it is SATA
WD20EARS/EARX mix.

 In my experience, SU/SU+J fsck never completes successful on this
FS :(

 Does SU+J work at all? Here was topic in closed mailing list about
it, started as topic about using CURRENT on FreeBSD's cluster, but it
was shifted to ZFS discussion without changing "Subject" line after
several iterations without any conclusion.

 Could I do something to help debug this problem?

 Please, don't give advices like "Convert to ZFS". ZFS is great, but,
I think, we should have robust "native" and simple FS too.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>