kern/184677 (fwd)

krichy at tvnetwork.hu krichy at tvnetwork.hu
Tue Dec 17 13:50:44 UTC 2013

Dear devs,

I will sum up my experience regarding the issue:

The sympton is that a concurrent 'zfs send -R' and some activity on the
snapshot dir (or in the snapshot) may cause a deadlock.

After investigating the problem, I found that zfs send umounts the
snapshots, and that causes the deadlock, so later I tested only with
concurrent umount and the "activity". More later I found that listing the
snapshots in .zfs/snapshot/ and unounting them can cause the found
deadlock, so I used them for the tests. But for my surprise, instead of a
deadlock, a recursive lock panic has arised.

The vnode for the ".zfs/snapshot/" directory contains zfs's
zfsctl_snapdir_t structure (sdp). This contains a tree of mounted
snapshots, and each entry (sep) contains the vnode of entry on which the
snapshot is mounted on top (se_root). The strange is that the se_root
member does not hold a reference for the vnode, just a simple pointer to
it.

Upon entry lookup (zfsctl_snapdir_lookup()) the "snapshot" vnode is
locked, the zfsctl_snapdir_t's tree is locked, and searched for the mount
if it exists already. If it founds no entry, does the mount. In the case
of an entry was found, the se_root member contains the vnode which the
snapshot is mounted on. Thus, a reference is taken for it, and the
traverse() call will resolve to the real root vnode of the mounted
snapshot, returning it as locked. (Examining the traverse() code I've
found that it did not follow FreeBSD's lock order recommendation described
in sys/kern/vfs_subr.c.)

On the other way, when an umount is issued, the se_root vnode looses its
last reference (as only the mountpoint holds one for it), it goes through
the vinactive() path, to zfsctl_snapshot_inactive(). In FreeBSD this is
called with a locked vnode, so this is a deadlock race condition. While
zfsctl_snapdir_lookup() holds the mutex for the sdp tree, and traverse()
tries to acquire the se_root, zfsctl_snapshot_inactive() holds the
lock on se_root while tries to access the sdp lock.

The zfsctl_snapshot_inactive() has an if statement checking the
v_usecount, which is incremented in zfsctl_snapdir_lookup(), but in that
context it is not covered by VI_LOCK. And it seems to me that FreeBSD's
vinactive() path assumes that the vnode remains inactive (as opposed to
illumos, at least how i read the code). So zfsctl_snapshot_inactive()
must free resources while in a locked state. I was a bit confused, and
probably that is why the previously posted patch is as is.

Maybe if I had some clues on the directions of this problem, I could have
worked more for a nicer, shorter solution.

Please someone comment on my post.

Regards,

Kojedzinszky Richard
Euronet Magyarorszag Informatikai Zrt.