kern/184677

krichy at tvnetwork.hu krichy at tvnetwork.hu
Mon Dec 16 10:08:38 UTC 2013

Dear devs,

I've attached a patch, which makes the recursive lockmgr disappear, and
makes the reported bug to disappear. I dont know if I followed any
guidelines well, or not, but at least it works for me. Please some
ZFS/FreeBSD fs expert review it, and fix it where it needed.

But unfortunately, my original problem is still not solved, maybe the same
as Ryan's:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2013-December/018707.html

Tracing the problem down is that zfsctl_snapdir_lookup() tries to acquire
spa_namespace_lock while when finishing a zfs send -R does a
zfsdev_close(), and that also holds the same mutex. And this causes a
deadlock scenario. I looked at illumos's code, and for some reason they
use another mutex on zfsdev_close(), which therefore may not deadlock with
zfsctl_snapdir_lookup(). But I am still investigating the problem.

I would like to help making ZFS more stable on freebsd also with its whole
functionality. I would be very thankful if some expert would give some
advice, how to solve these bugs. PJD, Steven, Xin?

Thanks in advance,

Kojedzinszky Richard
Euronet Magyarorszag Informatikai Zrt.