10.0-BETA4 (upgraded from 9.2-RELEASE) zpool upgrade -> boot failure

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Wed Dec 11 08:27:04 UTC 2013

Le 11/12/2013 02:07, Artem Belevich a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Florent Peterschmitt
> <florent at peterschmitt.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anything known about ZFS under 10.0-BETA4 when FreeBSD was
>> upgraded from 9.2-RELEASE?
>>
>> I have two servers, with very different hardware (on is with soft raid
>> and the other have not) and after a zpool upgrade, no way to get the
>> server booting.
>
> It may help if you could provide details on how exactly "no way to get
> the system booting" manifests itself.
> Serial console capture of a failed boot would be a good start.
>
> Did it get to the loader?
> Did the loader manage to read loader.conf and load kernel and modules?
> Did the kernel start?
> Did the kernel manage to mount root FS?
>
> --Artem

No, there is no module loading, no more than the kernel load. I had an
error like "no fs recognized", then it is stuck with the interactive
minimal boot loader (which name is "loader", correct?). The only thing I
can do is to reboot the computer.

In rescue (9.2-RELEASE) I can import the zpool without problem, then use
the gpart inside the 10.0-BETA4 (on the remaining problematic server it
is a BETA4) and rewrite the bootcode. No changes.

This week-end I may be able to get a vKVM. It's a low-cost server and
there are no other way to repair the system than a rescue.

Also, can it be a problem from the BIOS? To old to boot from a GPT
"formated disk" (sorry I don't know much about disks and BIOS)? It would
be possible only if some changes were brought into the bootcode.

But maybe the problem isn't here, it can be from the zpool itself.

Also like a said on -stable, I *cannot* reproduce the problem in a VM:

* Installing 9.2-RELEASE from scratch like I made for the server.
* Binary upgrade to 10.0-BETA4 (install kernel, reboot, install
userland, rebuild ports, install last parts of userland)
* zpool upgrade tank
* reboot
* It's all fine.

--
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent at peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail.