NFS on ZFS pure SSD pool

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 21:56:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Berend de Boer <berend at pobox.com> wrote:

>     Freddie> This will show you how many bytes of the ARC are being
>     Freddie> used by metadata: sysctl vfs.zfs.arc_meta_used
>
>     Freddie> You can tune what the max is via: sysctl
>     Freddie> vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit
>
> Strangely enough on my system arc_meta_used = 2GB, while
> arc_meta_limit = 1.5G.
>
> Wouldn't you expect that arc_meta_used would be lower than this limit?

You would think so.

Maybe this is not a hard limit, but a high-water mark that leads to an
eviction process running?  Don't know, I'm not at all versed in the inner
workings of ZFS.  :)

I do know other vfs.zfs.*limit tunables were high-water marks and work was
underway to turn them into hard limits.  Maybe this needs to be added to
that list?  Maybe it's not worth worrying about?

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com