Files created with vsphere on a seperate ZFS dataset are not visable from cli within FreeBSD itself

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 20:47:35 UTC 2013

Op donderdag 15 augustus 2013 schreef Freddie Cash (fjwcash at gmail.com):

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'joh.hendriks at gmail.com');>
> > wrote:
>
>> zfs create storage/ESXishare/machine1
>>
>> san ESXishare # zfs list
>> NAME                                    USED  AVAIL  REFER MOUNTPOINT
>> storage                                4.00G  2.13T   160K  /storage
>> storage/ESXishare                      3.99G  2.13T  3.99G
>> /storage/ESXishare
>> storage/ESXishare/machine1               144K  2.13T   144K
>> /storage/ESXishare/machine1
>>

> Look at the output of "mount" and you'll see the answer to why this
> doesn't work.  :)
>
> machine1 is mounted on top of ESXishare, thus hiding everything in that
> directory.
>
> NFS client is picking up cached information.
>
> Change the mountpoint for machine1 via "zfs set mountpoint=whatever
> storage/ESXishare/machine1", then copy the data from /storage/ESXishare
> into it.
>
> Then you can set the mountpoint back to /storage/ESXishare/machine1.
>
> --
> Freddie Cash
> fjwcash at gmail.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'fjwcash at gmail.com');>

 I can see everything in ESXishare, but not what is put in
storage/ESXishare/machine1
If I do the following
# mkdir /storage/ESXishare/machine2
Then copy through vsphere a machine to that folder i can see all files and
data in  /storage/ESXishare/machine2
But still everything under machine1 is missing.

Or is it that the files are in ESXishare but masked by the machine1 mount.

One more thing.
I use thin provisioning.
But if i use cp to copy files they grow to the actual size.
How do i overcome that?

Regards
Johan