ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 5000 (should be 28)

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 2 06:55:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:47:04AM +0100, krad wrote:
> 5000 sounds like a linuxzfs pool number to me, could that be a possibility?

No.

> On 2 August 2013 07:21, Tim Gustafson <tjg at ucsc.edu> wrote:
>
> > I recently rebuilt my FreeBSD 8.4 OS and rebooted, and when the system
> > came back up, it refused to mount the zpool because:
> >
> > ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 5000 (should be 28)
> >
> > I didn't upgrade my zpool as far as I know.  I tried booting off the
> > latest 9.1 snapshot, but it also says that the zpool has a too-new
> > version number and won't import it.

Try the 9.2-BETA2 snapshot.

The 9.1-RELEASE (you did not provide any clear indication *which*
snapshot you tried) does not support zpool version >28.  9.2-BETA1 and
9.2-BETA2 snapshots do.

If you did update your zpool but not the zfs boot loader, you can fix
the loader by following the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING,
specifically the "ZFS notes" section.

Glen