Initial NFS Test: Linux vs FreeBSD (769% slower)

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Apr 30 12:29:29 UTC 2013

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> If you want, you can email me startup.pcap as an attachment and I'll
> take
> a look, but wireshark is pretty good at spotting TCP retransmits, etc.
>

> 'k, at 4.x Gig in size, doubt your mail server will handle me sending
> this to you :) Even compressed, it was going over 400M … I can if you
> want it though …
>

> Baring that, if you want to give me pointers as to what I should be
> looking for? I have Wireshark installed / and the startup.pcap data
> loaded … the only thing that is jumping out at me is a bunch of lines
> where 'Length' is 32982 while most are 218 … highlighted in 'black
> background, red font' … for example:

The big one is a write RPC and it will be a little more than 32768, if
you've set wsize=32768.

This can't be a capture for the "nfsstat" numbers you emailed the last time.
(For one thing, that one didn't have any write RPCs counted.) Try and get
a capture for the case where there are few NFS RPCs. (Did you capture for
the first time doing the startup after doing a mount vs do an "nfsstat"
for a subsequent startup?) Or, is this client doing something else on the
network while the startup is happening?

I may take a look at it, to see if I can spot anything weird, but a capture
when it only does 88 RPCs is going to be much easier to look at.

rick