nfsv3 vs nfsv4 ? advantages of moving to v4?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Apr 29 21:44:31 UTC 2013

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 07:10:03PM +0200, Olav Grns Gjerde wrote:
> > If you have three ZFS filesystems:
> > tank
> > tank/backup
> > tank/home
> >
> > And if you export /tank with nfsv3, you don't really export
> > /tank/backup
> > and /tank/home.
> > You only export the folders, but not it's content
> > I think it has to do with that you cannot export mounted filesystems
> > within
> > one exported filesystem.
> >
> > With nfsv4 you will with only one export of /tank, export all three,
> > including /tank/backup and /tank/home
> >
> > This was an issue 18 months ago, I cannot confirm if it's still an
> > issue.
>
> Maybe I'm still misunderstanding, but it sounds like what you want
> (for
> NFSv3) is the -alldirs option, e.g.:
>
> /tank -alldirs 10.0.0.20
>
> Which would allow 10.0.0.20 to mount /tank, /tank/backup, /tank/home,
> or whatever else under /tank, with NFSv3.

I think he was actually referring to what mounts the client has to do
and not what the exports need to be.
Assuming there are 3 different file systems:
- NFSv3 must do 3 mounts
- NFSv4 just needs to mount /tank

I don't see this as much of an issue for 3 file systems, but I suppose
that it can become inconvenient to mount each one if there are 300 or 3000
file systems under tank.

rick