nfsv3 vs nfsv4 ? advantages of moving to v4?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Mon Apr 29 02:04:22 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 03:25:20PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> cat /etc/zfs/exports
>
> Works the same for UFS and ZFS. :)
>
> At least on FreeBSD. Solaris-based OSes have more in-depth support for
> NFS-exported ZFS.

That file is simply the contents of all the "share" properties per ZFS
filesystem.  Look for ZFS_EXPORTS_PATH in src/cddl and work backwards
to the fsshare_main() function in fsshare.c.

That didn't used to work properly, like I said in my mail (last line):

"For exporting ZFS filesystems via NFS, I've always used /etc/exports.
I've never used the "share" property per ZFS filesystem, because in my
experience (at the time -- this was early days of ZFS on FreeBSD) ..."

I'm glad to see whatever was broken has been fixed/addressed/whatever,
but at one time -- and for a fairly lengthy duration -- it did not work.

Not to mention, you're not supposed to mess with that file (see
FILE_HEADER in fsshare.c) by hand.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |