NFS Performance issue against NetApp

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Wed Apr 24 16:26:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-24, at 24:35 , Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:

> Am Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:25:56 -0700
> schrieb "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org>:
>

>> Morning …
>>
>>   I'm trying to figure out where performance issues are arising, and
>> I suspect its a lack of tuning on the FreeBSD side …
>>
>>   Hardware wise, I have an HP Proliant DL360p Gen8 Server, 16G of
>> RAM, bge ethernet … I have two ethernet ports in use, one used as a
>> private backend for the NFS filer, the other for the public IP front
>> end.
>
> How did you get bge working on a Gen8 Proliant anyway?

Not too painfully … 9.1-RELEASE didn't work, but I tar'd up and put onto a usb stick -STABLE, and installed that, and its been fine since …

> AFAIK, the stock bge of 9.1 doesn't have support for the bcm-chips in
> those servers.
>
> Can you try an Intel NIC?

That one could be more difficult, since don't have any of those laying about … but will definitely try and come up with something, thx ...

> I have to cap RSIZE/WSIZE at 32k to get *any* kind of performance from

'k, what do you mean by cap?  setting it in /etc/fstab?  or using sysctl variables?