[ZFS] recover destroyed zpool with ZDB

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Thu Apr 18 05:15:18 UTC 2013

Thanks, but that document does not appear very relevant to my situation.
Also, the issue is not as straight-forward as it seems. The DEFAULTED status
of the zpool was a 'false positive', because

A- The "present pool" did not accept any zpool commands and always gave
message like
no such pool or dataset ... recover the pool from a backup source.
B- The more relevant on-disk metadata showed and still shows this:
# zdb -l /dev/ada0p2 => all 4 labels intact and pool_guid:
12018916494219117471
vdev_tree:  type: 'disk'   id: 0    guid: 17860002997423999070

While the pool showing up in the zpool list was/is clearly in a worse state
that the above pool:
# zdb -l /dev/ada0 => only label 2 intact and pool_guid:
16018525702691588432

In my opinion, this problem is more similar to a "Resolving a Missing
Device" problem rather than data corruption. Unfortunately, missing device
repairs focus on mirrored setups and no decent document on missing device of
single-HDD pool.

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 & xorg.devel