[ZFS] recover destroyed zpool with ZDB

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Wed Apr 17 18:05:09 UTC 2013

I destroyed my zpool but forgot to take the tar backup of /home folder. This
was a single-HDD pool and I first did 'zpool destroy' then 'gpart destroy'
before realizing my error.

Since then, I have manually re-created the GPT partitions to the size they
were (testdisk did not correctly identify the geom) and there have been no
writes to the HDD.

After a lengthly discussion here:
http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ZFS-recover-destroyed-zpool-what-are-the-available-options-td5800299.html
and getting no result with:
# zpool import -D -f -R /bsdr -N -F -X 12018916494219117471 rescue =>
cannot import 'bsdr' as 'rescue': no such pool or dataset. Destroy and
re-create the pool from a backup source.

I sent an email to an expert and was advised to look into zdb and the -F &
-X flags. Good news and bad news there. '# zdb -e -F 12018916494219117471'
gives a lot of output but this is conflicting because although there are no
errors, %used is showing zero:
       Traversing all blocks to verify checksums and verify nothing leaked
	No leaks (block sum matches space maps exactly)
	bp count:              43
	bp logical:        357888      avg:   8322
	bp physical:        36352      avg:    845     compression:   9.85
	bp allocated:       93184      avg:   2167     compression:   3.84
	bp deduped:             0    ref>1:      0   deduplication:   1.00
	SPA allocated:      93184     used:  0.00%

The zdb -F command is giving the internal info for the zpool but it is not
importing it, nor does it change the status to importable.
What can I read or change in the zdb command to get this to come online? The
zdb output is available as a link if needed.

Thanks and regards.

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 & xorg.devel