A failed drive causes system to hang

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Sat Apr 13 21:23:41 UTC 2013

>> Your issue: "on my raidz2 pool, when I lose more than 2 disks, I/O to
>> the pool stalls indefinitely,
>
> Close, but not quite- Yes, io to the pool stalls, but io in general also
> stalls. It appears the problem possibly doesn't start until there's io
> traffic to the pool though.
>

>> but I can still use the system barring
>> ZFS-related things;
>
> No. I've responded to this misconception on your part more than once- I
> *CANNOT* use the system in any reliable way, random commands fail. I've
> had it hang trying cd from one dir on the boot volume to another dir on
> the boot volume. The only thing I can *reliably* do is log in. Past that
> point all bets are off.

So, in looking over my thread again from the start, I realize there's
been an evolution of diagnosis that may not have been immediately obvious.

When I wrote up the description in my initial email, *at that time* I
thought that io confined to the boot drive was in the clear. However,
shortly afterwards after doing more tests over the course of the thread,
I discovered that this was NOT the case.