ZFS-inly server and dedicated ZIL

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Fri Apr 12 09:44:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> > I'm planning to make new PostgreSQL server using zaid10-like ZFS with two SSDs
> > splitted into mirrored ZIL and striped arc2.
>
> This might seem like an odd suggestion, but if you're putting the pool on
> SSDs (is that correct?), I'd totally skip the separate ZIL device and ARC.
> I think you'll find the SSDs will need zero help from another log device and
> L2ARC is probably just not that helpful for DB loads.

No, this will be 8*SAS in 4 mirrored pairs + 2*SSD for mirrored ZIL and striped
l2arc. Like the following (this is from other machine, but similar in setup):

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        pn          ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da6     ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da7     ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          mirror-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2d    ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3d    ONLINE       0     0     0
        cache
          da2e      ONLINE       0     0     0
          da3e      ONLINE       0     0     0

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]