ZFS-inly server and dedicated ZIL

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Apr 11 09:25:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013, Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. wrote:

> The root pool only having one root vdev is probably a restriction on what functionality could be put into the bootblock.
>
> But, can't really tell what it is you're trying to do...
>
> You say raid10-like ZFS with two SSDs....which to me means you have at least 4 physical drives, and 2 SSDs.
>
> zpool create tank mirror disk1 disk2 mirror disk3 disk4 .... log ... cache ....
>
> perhaps as: .... log mirror ssd1a ssd2a cache ssd1b ssd2b

Yes, exactly this way (gpt partitions, but nevermind). And before adding log I
booted from this pool perfectly.

> tank is load-balancing onto sets of mirrors, with a mirror of the first
> partition of the two ssds for ZIL and using the second partition of the two
> ssds concurrently for cache.
>
> So, in this case....tank can't be used as a root pool.  an Internal USB stick
> as your root pool would be one way to go.  or you could carve out another
> partition on the SSDs for a root pool.

I'm now thinking of putting /boot on the first pair of disks to boot from,
avoiding SPOF in this area too.

> On my home system, I currently have a pair of SSDs....each with 7
> partitions.... 5 tiny ones for mirror ZILs for the other zpools in my system,
> the mirrored root pool and partitions to be L2ARC for the two zpools in my
> system that I'm using dedup in.  (there's currently only 4 zpools in my
> system, including the root....but I had originally envisioned the possibility
> of adding additional external jbod arrays....)

What is not clear for me is why one could want more than one pool in one
machine?

Thanks for your comments, will test further.

> I used to have 6 disk raid10-like with part of an external SSD for its zil...and no cache.  It has since been redone as a raidz2 with mirrored zil (from the internal SSDs)....planning to add another SSD soon.

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]