ZFS: Failed pool causes system to hang

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Tue Apr 9 10:47:40 UTC 2013

> So, you're not really waiting a long time....

I still don't think you're 100% clear on what's happening in my case.
I'm trying to explain that my problem is *prior* to the motherboard
resetting, NOT after. If I hard-reset the machine with the front panel
switch, it boots just fine every time.

When my pool *FAILS* (ie; is unrecoverable because I lost too many
drives) it hangs effectively all io on the entire machine. I can't cd or
ls directories, I can't run any zfs commands, and I can't issue a reboot
or halt. This is a hang. The machine is completely useless in this
state. There is no disk or cpu activity churning. There's no pool
(anymore) to be trying to resilver or whatever anyway.

I'm not going to wait 3+ hours for "shutdown -r now" to bring the
machine down. Especially not when I already know that zfs won't let it.