ZFS in production enviroments

The BSD Dreamer beastie at tardisi.com
Fri Apr 5 23:41:23 UTC 2013

I presume the question is ZFS on FreeBSD in production environments,
rather than ZFS in general or ZFS on something else....

....something else being ZFS native for Linux work...which I have played
with now and then, but so far haven't had enough success with it to
consider it for long term use, let along production.

But, at work we've being using ZFS on Solaris in production ever since
it came out, there were some problems in our initial systems, where we
did have Sun engineers out to fiddle with things like ZIL....or
something in the OS about getting interrupts to spread out to other
threads on the core (coolthreads).

We like ZFS so much that it opened the door for FreeBSD.  So, we have a
couple of production systems a FreeBSD 9.0 system with a raidz2 zroot
consisting of 5 2TB drives and a FreeBSD 9.1 system with a raidz1 zroot
consisting of 6 2TB drives.  There are plans to have more in the
future... as we move to Solaris systems are for things that have to be
on Solaris (like Oracle databases.)

Though we are also looking at SmartOS and OmniOS.  SmartOS for where we
want it to run the hardware that we're doing KVMs on, and there are
reasons for not using our vSphere environment.  Or, OmniOS for where we
want to run native Solaris applications, but don't need/want to pay the
premium of Oracle hardware and Oracle support.....the application is
available for either Solaris or Linux, and we very much want ZFS....

I've thought about playing with these on my own...but don't have any
systems that meet the hardware requirements. (EPT)

  Name: Lawrence "The Dreamer" Chen      Email: beastie at tardisi.com
 Snail: 1530 College Ave, A5              Blog: http://lawrencechen.net
        Manhattan, KS 66502-2768         Phone: 785-789-4132